Nuffnang

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

.: I Believe ... :.

I believe that beauty magazine promotes low self esteem ...

Speaking of which, my dear cousin Yin got herself a copy of this month's CLEO. (What a coincedence coz I was planning to on this)

Anyways, here's my humble opinion on this issue.


Well, I have to confess that I do read beauty magazines, though I don't buy them on a regular basis.


Do they actually promote low self esteem, especially to women?


Many argue that they do, putting a pretty face with hot, hot, hot body that just screams "Be like ME and this will get you everywhere and anywhere........" This is indeed the message that these beauty magazines are trying to sell to the average Jane out there.


Articles like "How to Lose 20 pounds in 20 days"; "Implants & Plastic Surgery"; "How to Be Desired by the XY's conterpart", actaully pressures women (both young & the young at heart) to be more and more like the "ideal" women, rather that the "realistic" ones.

Be honest to ourselves, how many of us are lucky enough to have the body of Fergie, or the flawless skin of Nicole Kidman, or the pretty face of Katie Holmes? But yet most of use try so foolishly to achieve the looks this models/celebraties have, no thanks to the idea that all these magazines are trying to promote.


But then again, as they simple concept of economics goes - where there's demand, there's always supply. This trend of pretty, stick-thin models or celebraties on the front cover of beauty magazines are there because people buy them.

Let me give you a simple example,

You would most definately be more attracted to buy a magazine with .....




Angelina Jolie.......




Or even......



Jessica Alba (I'm sure some of you are drooling right now - men and women alike)

This underlying concept behind this is beauty sells.

But to be fair, I find these beauty magazines useful as there's some articles which you can educate you, for example - Breast Cancer Awareness; Financial Managements; etc.....

It's a double-edge sword I suppose.

Use it wisely, and you will be able to yield what you need to boost your self-confidence.

Use it foolishly, and you will run the risk of trying to hard to be prefect, and fail miserably.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin