Nuffnang

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

.: The Truth About Taxes :.

I must admit I am utterly impressed with my boss (CFO) presentation skills. No, this post will no garner me a promotion/higher bonus as my boss does not read my blog - just a disclaimer in case you think I am trying “polish his shoes” [direct Cantonese translation which means to ki$$ one’s ar$e]. In fact, I think he could have improved on his Microsoft Powerpoint skills; coz he just typed his points across in a ‘blank, white’ slide. But then again, to be fair, he only had like a few hours to prepared, so I give him the benefit of a doubt.

Well, being a CFO of one of the many Groups in HL, he was invited (more like forced?) to give a point or two after our external tax seminar yesterday, as a round up to what was presented.

He started his slides, by something to this line “What Am I Gonna Say To You” and proceed with telling us that someone once told him that to have a good presentation, one have to give the overall agenda. And so he went on to the next slide, which has 5 points.

One – Words from TWO presidents
Two – Group Mgmt View on tax
Three – Words of an investment banker
Four – What is JOY?
Five – The TRUTH (from newspaper)

SLIDE 1 : TWO PRESIDENT OF USA
Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery – Calvin Coolidge
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidise it – Ronald Reagan

SLIDE 2 : OUR GROUP MGMT VIEW
This is when he talks bout how we (as Finance people) should not look at tax as a inevitable 25% cut of our profit. We should proactively try not to pay absolutely more than necessary, and should utilize what we are entitled to – like deductions, etc.

SLIDE 3 : WORD OF INVESTMENT BANKER
(I forgot what this was, but it has a funny punchline to it)

SLIDE 4 : WHAT IS JOY
Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying as an income tax refund - F.J. Raymond

SLIDE 5 : THE TRUTH
Your JOY is only temporary until you realize that the money you get from your tax refund is actually yours to begin with!

I lol-ed the whole time thru his presentation, think this will affect my increment/bonus next year adversely *gulps!*

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin