Nuffnang

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

.: Something Borrowed :.

Okay, so I always been complaining about why they don't make romantic flicks like the usta, like You've Got Mail, My Best Friend's Wedding, etc. Well, guess what? Today I watched a movie that I think could be of that league. I'll give some time for those planning to catch the movie (if you guys ever do) and do drop a feedback if you like the movie or loath it eitherway.


Synopsis : Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) is a talented attorney at a top New York law firm, a generous and loyal friend and, unhappily, still single…as her engaged best friend Darcy (Kate Hudson) is constantly reminding her. But after one drink too many at her 30th birthday party, perpetual good girl Rachel unexpectedly ends up in bed with the guy she’s had a crush on since law school, Dex (Colin Egglesfield), who just happens to be Darcy’s fiancĂ©. When Rachel and Darcy’s lifelong friendship collides with true love, it leads to unexpected complications and potentially explosive romantic revelations. Meanwhile, Ethan (John Krasinski), who has been Rachel’s constant confidante and sometimes conscience, has been harboring a secret of his own, and Marcus (Steve Howey), an irrepressible womanizer, can’t keep his mind out of the gutter or his hands off any girl within reach.


Spoiler Alert : What I kinda liked bout this movie was that it kept me on my toes right to the very end. At some point, one would expect the typical, predictable ending, but as the movie plot slowly unfolds, it got me wondering more and more if it was gonna be the case.

As my best friend, Sharlene, who also loved the movie, shared; each character is faulty one way or another. 

Rachel for one, shouldn't have slept with her best friend's man - there is no way in the world one should betray her best friend by doing so. Regardless of how nasty Darcy was perceived to be, it is not a justified act. In fact, it reflects cowardliness and selfishness on the I've-been-a-good-girl-all-my-life Rachel character.

Dex, the fiancee, should have kept his pants on, and even after he did find out that he had true feelings for Rachel, he should have immediately man up to it. Tell then truth rather and move on with Rachel, rather than to continue living a lie with Darcy (he was still sleeping with Darcy while having an affair with Rachel and I absolutely can't forgive a man for that, no matter how charming and good-looking Dex is!). And to think of it, if he had feelings with Rachel all these years, what the heck was he thinking of being married to Darcy? Tsk!

Darcy on the other hand, who is suppose to play the annoying, controlling b***hy friend,she is somehow is not someone I just love to hate. In fact, I kinda sympathized with her because she whole heartedly love Rachel, her best friend, so much. Did you not go awww.. when she said to Rachel "Nobody gets me like you do" and the whole Salt & Pepper breakdance? But alas, she is too, not without flaw, as we find out later in the movie that she was having an *gasp* affair too.


Nonetheless, I still enjoyed this movie a tad bit more than all the other chick flicks I've watch in recent years because of the dynamics and complexity of each character and because of the conflict they face with each other and within themselves. One, like myself, can also get hooked (and be emotionally drained at the same time) of the so many chances Rachel & Dex pass to be with each other.



1 comment:

Sharlene said...

I've watched it just now! Its good for me, had a good laugh but every cast in the movie is guilty in some way which i dun agree....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin