Nuffnang

Monday, August 1, 2011

.: Forgive Those Who Have Sinned Against Us :.



An Iranian woman has forgiven the man who blinded and disfigured her face, by throwing acid at her.

The AAP reported she forgave her attacker and decided not to go ahead with the court-ordered retribution, which involved a doctor putting acid into his eyes. This is based on the Islamic law system of "qisas," or eye-for-an-eye retribution. She asked the doctor to spare him at the last minute in a dramatic scene broadcast on Iran's state television.

Ameneh Bahrami lost her sight and suffered horrific burns to her face, scalp and body , when attacked by a man whose marriage proposal she rejected. "It is best to pardon when you are in a position of power," she said. The sobbing man, Majid Movahedi, said Bahrami was "very generous." It was a change of heart when the court handed down the sentence in November 2008.

Bahrami was then happy with the ruling. "I am not doing this out of revenge, but rather so that the suffering I went through is not repeated," she said in that March 2009 interview.

And forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
Matthew 6:12

If you were in her shoes, would you have that forgiveness in your heart to forgive something done so cruelly to you? Makes you wonder about all the unforgiveness you have harboured over petty petty things done by others to you, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This woman truly have the heart of gold... I dont think I would be able to do the same thing if I were in her position. I had goosebumps reading that.

Jo said...

Hi, I came here from Nelah's blog seeing that we've got little similarities. =)

I read this news a while back and remembered the eye for an eye punishment. It's great that the woman stepped in at the last moment. I think it's very generous of her and also that action would set the man thinking even more. I believe something good will come out from this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin