Nuffnang

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

.: Egg Sandwiches :.

Humble as it may sound, I just love having egg sandwiches.

The egg sandwich has got to be one of the simplest & easiest dishes to prepare – you can even get the kids to do it!

The basic egg sandwich would involve eggs (duh!) and a slice of bread.

The eggs can be hard-boiled or fried or poached or scrambled. For bread, you can do a simple plain white or slices of baguette or toasted wholemeal bread, whatever combo that tickles your fancy.

So last night, on the way home, I thought of making some sandwiches for breakfast. We have a couple of leeks laying in the fridge, so I thought it would be great to experiment making some leek & egg sandwiches (or egg & leek sandwiches, whichever way you wanna call it). I read somewhere that leeks make a great alternative to onions albeit a less pungent one and can be eaten raw (honestly, I didn’t know that before). So while the husband put four eggs into a pot of boiling water, I took about 4 inches of leeks (from the root/bottom) and chopped it into tiny bits. Once the eggs was done and the shells peeled, I took out a mixing bowl and mashed the eggs (but not too much as I love my egg sandwiches with a lil more bite into it – but then again, its really personal preference) together with the chopped leeks. I added about a tablespoon and the half of mayonnaise (yogurt would be a great alternative too) & throw in a dash of dried mixed herbs (fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley or dill would be much better, but I have neither of those on hand, so I just have to make do with what I have). Of course, I season with a pinch of salt and a dash of black pepper. Mix the entire ingredient in the mixing bowl well.

For the bread, I used some Massimo bread, toasted on my pan (coz I don’t have a bread toaster or an oven toaster).

I spread a generous amount of eggs mixture onto a slice of toasted bread, top it up with a couple slices of moon-blushed tomatoes and voila, it’s ready to be eaten for supper.

As for the rest, I didn’t bother with toasting the bread and after packing it, I left it in the fridge. Today, I woke up with lovely cold egg sandwiches for breakfast. Yummers! What a way to start the day huh? :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin