Nuffnang

Monday, February 25, 2013

.: Overcoming Stage Fright :.

I must admit, I’m pretty proud of myself of this personal achievement.

From someone who gets anxiety having to do a presentation or public speaking or speech in front of a crowd, I must say, I have come a long way since.

I was “compulsorily volunteered” to take part in a singing and dancing competition ala American Idol style early December last year. The theme was “Movie Night” and after a couple of brainstorming sessions with the rest of the colleagues, we came out with a medley of Double Trouble (soundtrack of Harry Potter) and I Put A Spell On You (soundtrack of Hocus Pocus).

We had a professional choreographer who helped us with the dance moves, and after countless of after-working hours practices and back to work after that for me (bad timing, tight deadlines), we were off to perform. To sing and dance! On stage! In front of all my colleagues of Kuala Lumpur office! Competing against others (more experienced)!

We won second place. I was especially overjoyed, but even more that it was over (finally). I must admit, I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I would be. I was worried that I will be loomed with sleepless nights and butterflies in the stomach, but it wasn’t really that bad. So when it was over, I thought “phew, over and done with”.

Little did I know, just short of two months after, we had to do the same number again for the same competition but at Asean level. With last minute notice, our participant of 8 was cut to 4 people. We had 3 days to prepare and make necessary arrangements for costume and make-up. It was pretty stressful, so we decided to keep the same moves.

When it was all over and done with for the second time, we couldn’t believe it when they announced us as the 3rd place team, beating the 1st place contender.

The fun and the participating cash vouchers were great, but what’s even better for me was the fact that I have overcome my fear of performing on stage.

1 comment:

sharlene said...

pictures of the performance? =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin